All visitors to Cuba require a tourist card which can be acquired in the Cuban consulates or in the authorized travel agencies and airlines.
All visitors to Cuba require a tourist card which can be acquired in the Cuban consulates or in the authorized travel agencies and airlines. The tourist visa is valid for an entrance and exit from Cuba and lasts for 30 days. The counting starts on the arrival date to Cuba, with the possibility to extend it for other 30 days. This can be done in the Cuban Immigration Office (Dirección de Inmigración y Extranjería)
How Americans Can Travel to Cuba with the Support for the Cuban People Category?
- Choose the Support for the Cuban People Category
- Buy a Tourist Card. This is a requirement of the Cuban government. Airlines that fly to Cuba also offer Tourist Cards for sale.
The best part about Support for the Cuban People is that you are allowed to travel independently. You’re in control of where you go, what you do, where you stay, and how much you spend.
The key thing for you to remember when you plan a trip to Cuba is that you must participate in activities that support the Cuban people for at least six hours per day on weekdays. This is considered a full-time schedule.
Your trip will fit into the Support for the Cuban People category if you:
- Staying at a casa particular and having meals with your hosts
- Meeting with local artists, musicians and others who own their own businesses
- Shopping in independent markets
- You might have interests in architecture and history
- Exploring museums
- Taking classes on subjects like cooking, dancing, and Spanish language
- Talking with musicians and artists
- Eating at private restaurants
- Discussing Cuban society with locals
- Taking private taxis
An itinerary is helpful, but not required. If you have an itinerary it will be much easier to make sure you’ve filled a full-time schedule with appropriate activities. And if you’re ever questioned about your trip, you’ll be able to hand over a copy of your itinerary to help things go smoothly.